The water bill is a major utility in virtually every household. Not only does a high water bill cost you more money, it can indicate a significant waste of one of our most precious resources, clean water. So, when your water bill is high then it is only natural to want to track down the cause and correct it as soon as possible. With this in mind, our plumbers in Metro Atlanta want to show you 5 common reasons for a high water bill, and what you can do about them:
- Leaky/Running toilets: According to the EPA toilets account for 26.7% of the indoor water use for the average American home. This makes toilets the single biggest source of indoor water use. It might not seem like much but a running or leaking toilet can waste up to 200 gallons of water in a single day. That’s more than 1,400 gallons of water per week. If you think you are experiencing a leaky or running toilet one of our Metro Atlanta Plumbers would love to assist you.
- Leaky Faucets and Fixtures: Leaky faucets and fixtures are another common cause of high water bills. According to the EPA, a leaky faucet that drips at the rate of one drip per second can waste more than 3,000 gallons of water a year! Thankfully this is a problem that is not just easy to spot but easy to fix as well. The cause of a faucet leak is normally due to a faulty rubber washer in the faucet handle. In most cases, you can solve this issue by shutting off the water to the leaky faucet, unscrewing the handle, removing the bad washer, and replacing the the rubber washer with a new one.
- Irrigation Leaks: Not all leaks occur indoors. If you have an irrigation system for your landscaping a line crack or loose joint could allow water to leak even when the irrigation system is off. Finding these leaks can be a little tricky, especially if the lines for the irrigation system are buried out of sight. One way to spot these leaks is to check your landscaping or your lawn for unusually damp patches or areas of grass that appear more lush than their surroundings. To fix this kind of leak, you may need to consult one of our Atlanta Plumbers to find the location of the leak and to fix or replace the affected irrigation lines.
- Recent Changes in Water Use: One small change in your water use habits can have a big impact on your utility bill. Two common reasons you might change your water use habits are a change in season and an addition to your household. A change in season can really impact your utility bill. For example, during the Summer you will most likely use more water to water your lawn, fill up a pool, or take more showers. This increases your water usage and raises your water bill. Your water usage will also rise if you add a new family member or guest to your household. With an extra person in the house this translates more showers, more toilet flushes or more loads of laundry and dishes. We suggest the best fix to counter or prevent a sharp spike in your water use is to plan ahead when possible. It may be as simple as budgeting for higher water consumption during certain months, or for as long as you have that additional person in your home.
- Bad Water Wasting Habits: Sometimes the spike in your water bill comes from not being conscientious about your water usage. Some common water wasting habits you might not be aware of are: leaving the faucet running while brushing your teeth, running half loads in your dishwasher or washing machine, and taking baths instead of showers. If you would like more tips on saving water check out our blog post Tips for Saving Water.
Lowering your water bill doesn’t have to be difficult! Sometimes all it takes is making minor adjustments to your lifestyle and cultivating a habit of observation. If you are interested in learning more, or if you have any questions about potential water waste contact one of our 24 hour plumbers in Atlanta at 770.860.8110. We would love to help you save both water and money!