Spring Clean Your Plumbing
Spring Clean Your Plumbing
Spring is in the air, and your annual spring cleaning endeavor is about to begin! While you spend your time cleaning out the closets, scrubbing the floors, and purging your home of the excess stuff, don’t forget about the plumbing fixtures that help to keep your home in tip-top shape. After a long winter’s use, your plumbing could use a little TLC just like the rest of your home! Making this type of annual maintenance a habit will help your plumbing fixtures and system to perform better and last longer. Here at High Priority Plumbing, we are sharing 8 Spring Cleaning plumbing tips with you that you can do yourself!
- Check Your Pipes: Now is a good time to do a routine check of the pipes in and around your home for leaks and drips. Leaky and dripping faucets aren’t just a nuisance, they also waste both water and money. Thankfully, they’re a quick, easy fix you can do yourself! Set aside an afternoon, knock it out, and enjoy little savings on your next water bill!
- Clean Your Drains: Even if the drain isn’t clogged, preventative measures will help avoid a clog in the future. You can use some bacterial drain cleaner to clear debris and build-up from the drains in your home or you can consider purchasing a drain snake to clear out any debris that’s resting in there to produce a clog. Once this is completed we recommend putting mesh strainers over all your drains to help prevent hair and other clogging debris from going down them.
- Clean Behind the Toilet: Let’s face it, none of us like cleaning the toilet. We especially don’t like cleaning the dreaded area behind and around it. But giving it a good scrubbing can help wipe away all types of germs and bacteria hiding there.
- Inspect Toilet Tank & Bowl For Leaks: After you’ve finished cleaning around the toilet, now is a good time to check your tank and bowl for cracks and leaks. Here’s a tip from one of our plumbers: Put six drops of food coloring in the toilet tank. If your toilet is leaking you will see color appear in the bowl within 30 minutes.
- Clean Up Mineral Buildup: Your showerheads can frequently welcome mineral buildup. It’s important to take care of this before it becomes a bigger problem.
- Clean Your Garbage Disposal: Your garbage disposal has probably seen a lot in its lifetime and now is the perfect time to show it a little tender love and care! A simple garbage disposal cleaning will keep it working well.
- Check Your Water Heater: If you haven’t checked your water heater temperature lately, now is the time! It should be set to about 120 degrees Fahrenheit for both energy efficiency and to prevent scalding.
- Flush Your Water Heater: While you are checking on your water heater it might be a good idea for you to go ahead and flush it. Getting rid of the gunk and mineral deposits that accumulate will not only help your water heater run more efficiently, but it can also prolong its life as well, saving you money in the long run! If you are interested in a step-by-step process of how to do this check out another one of our blogs here.
We love answering our customer’s plumbing questions and sharing with them tips to help make the most of each season! If you have any questions or concerns don’t hesitate to reach out to one of our affordable plumbers! You can reach us at 770.860.8110.